[Nolug] Non-functioning disc drives

From: John Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:30:24 -0500

(1) Seagate ST380013A. Bought at BB, still under warranty so I took it there
to be checked. They couldn't get it to come up either. If it would, they
would pull data to a DVD for $90, and there is some on it that had never
been backed up (mostly saved e-mail) and some that hadn't been backed up as
recently as usual. When I try to boot from it, it hangs at GRUB. I can't get
it to take a reload. Is anyone else likely to be able to extract data before
I send it back to Seagate for a replacement?

(2) WD600. Has been unusable since May, when I bought (1) above to replace
it. Any ideas on trying to get it to do something? It doesn't even get to
GRUB.

(3) ST340016A. Don't remember when bought. Was working until after the above
problem with (1) started. Moving it from one computer to another has caused
kernel panic in either computer. No data I really need here, but if the disc
is repairable I can always use it, if only as a spare.

That leaves me with only a very old 3G drive, loaded with w2k and an old HP
OmniBook loaded with w95 to access the internet. The OmniBook, of course, is
impossibly slow. I hope that Windows vulerabilities are reduced to a
tolerable level working through a Siemens 5360 ethernet bridge, Siemens 2614
router, and Firefox 1.0PR.