Re: [Nolug] 64-bit athlon?

From: E. Strade, B.D. <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:47:04 -0500

64 bit OS's such as Fedora are designed to take advantage of the extra
memory capabilities by allowing great file sizes, larger process memory
allocations, and the ability to handle more concurrent processes or
"threads".

Since most 32 bit applications were designed to operate under that hard
limit, you will still not see any increases in performance. Even then,
increases in performance are seen because there is less need to use your
"swap" space which requires disk i/o (paging under windows?). So, you
will only see a true performance improvement if your OS and
application(s) were designed to take advantage of the extra address
spacing. I think that the only real market 64 bit systems have with
most end users is for graphics, video editing, and gaming - and that is
only if their OS and apps/games use the full 64 bits.

If you have a huge itch to play with 64 bit systems, consider buying an
old Sun Solaris. They have been 64 bit since around 1995....of course,
it does make your system sound really cool. In my opinion, it is more
worth the $$ to buy a 2 processor 32 bit system with good memory, large
cpu caches, and fast memory buses, but my interests are on the computer
science end as you well know :)...

Brett