Re: [Nolug] the power of a networked desktop

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:22:38 -0400

Joey Kelly wrote:
> KDE is fully networked. Imagine being able to drag-and-drop files onto your
> web hosting provider's server, just as if you were editing files on your
> local PC. I've done this, it's incredible, and KDE does a lot more:

Gnome does this, too. I've got a couple of screenshots of me using its
drag-n-drop capabilities over sftp (ftp over ssh).

http://mah.everybody.org/Screenshot.png
http://mah.everybody.org/Screenshot-1.png

The fish concept is a nice one (and is supported in Gnome:
http://www.advogato.org/person/mrcsparker/diary.html?start=63).

I was doing this four or five years ago in Emacs
(http://www.nongnu.org/tramp/#History). Tramp (as it is called in
Emacs) works over rsh and telnet as well as ssh and also performs well
over multiple hops, that is, when you have to log into a bastion host
before logging into the host where the files you want to use reside.

Mark.