[Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY TWO

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:14:07 -0600

The story so far:

Hardware:
I've acquired a IBM IntelliStation M Pro for this project. The system is
a dual-proc board with a single P2-333, 3/8 GB of RAM, and an IBM 18.5GB
SCSI drive. I'm hoping to snag an extra proc at some point, thought I
don't know if that's something I can just drop in down the line, or if
I'd have to do a reinstall or anything tricksy with my kernel. So, two
new things for me to learn Linux-wise: SCSI and multiple procs.

I am also the proud owner of a working non-WinModem modem, fax
capabilities unknown. However, I don't plan to use it in this system-
which originally had RedHat 6.1 on it, using the modem to do some sort
of dial-out paging. I think my using the modem for something interesting
will be a different project.

I think it also makes sense to drop in an medium-small IDE drive,
leaving the SCSI drive for data. Thinking something like /, /boot, and
swap on the IDE drive, /var on the SCSI. I expect that /var/logs,
/var/mail, and /var/www will be where most of my disk space will go. I
don't have tons of bays in this box, though.

Distros:
Here's the first, possibly most important step. I'd like to use a
well-maintained distro suited for server use, where I won't have to pull
any teeth to patch it or admin it. Some of this is laziness, some is a
hope to at least think about security. I also need to decide if I want
the 2.4 or 2.6 kernel. Choices currently include the following:

Debian (apt-get is lovely, install is a pain)
RedHat (sorry, Joey, but it's familiar to me)
Slackware (not a fan of its package management)
SuSE (I can always bug Joey for help)
Tinysofa (seems promising)
Trustix (seems promising)
WhiteBox (a little sketchy here)

What have I missed? What distro doe everyone usually put on a server?

I don't think I have the time to learn a *BSD, so that's out.

MTA:
Now the real debates can happen. AFAIK, the only real options here are
to choose postfix, sendmail, or qmail. I know next to nothing about
exim, but I think it may be a fourth option. It would make me happy if I
could take the lean-back route and use a simple/pretty/web admin console
thing, but I'm willing (and expecting) to get really under the hood
here. O'Reilly, here I come.

With this in mind, what is everyone using and why?

Web server:
Er, Apache. I don't think there's any reason not to go with good ol'
tried-and-true.

Behind the scenes:
The old provider has given me a tarball of my old web stuff, as well as
a list of all email accounts, aliases, and redirects- now I can plan the
config on my end.

My DNS is currently hosted with old provider. I believe between Xname,
Rollernet (Thanks, Jeremy!), and a few other resources, I've got this
covered. Can anyone point me to a good quick-and-dirty primer on DNS?

I'm pretty sure this is the order I want to do my Indiana Jones swapping
of services.

1. Current setup, aka "Throw me the idol":
Dotster (registrar) -> Old DNS server -> Old web/mail server

2. Intermediate setup, aka "Now throw me the whip":
Dotster (registrar) -> New DNS server -> Old web/mail server

3. Goal setup, aka "Watch out for the giant boulder":
Dotster (registrar) -> New DNS server -> New web/mail server

I think a significant part of my working this through is talking out
what I'm going to do. Comments are extremely welcome. Thanks for being
my sounding board, gang.

MDK