Re: [Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY TWO

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 15:23:22 -0500

Mischa Krilov wrote:

> Debian (apt-get is lovely, install is a pain)

Have you tried this installer: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

It's drop-dead simple. Automatically handles partitioning, hardware
detection, etc.

> What have I missed? What distro doe everyone usually put on a server?

Debian. Debian Testing, even.

> Now the real debates can happen. AFAIK, the only real options here are
> to choose postfix, sendmail, or qmail. I know next to nothing about
> exim, but I think it may be a fourth option.

Postfix is going to be the easiest to manage. If you set up an IMAP
server (I recommend courier), then about the only thing you have left to
do is tell postfix to deliver to maildirs.

For a little more complexity, use amavisd-ng with Clamav and
Spamassassin. Postfix integration instructions are included and they work.

Mark.