[Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY FOUR

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:23:49 -0600

The story so far:

LVM:
Last night, I hit my first major snag. During the Debian-Installer
config tool, I configured LVM, putting /var into one of the logical
volumes in the volume group. Since my volume group included my SCSI
drive, and the SCSI module was set to be loaded after the LVM stuff
(hotplug, I think), Debian basically freaked out since it couldn't see
its /var.

It was very interested to watch my system continue to grind along,
complaining mightily about not having a /var. It did boot, however- most
impressive.

Anyway, I was able to resolve this with a workaround: I forced the SCSI
modules to load by putting them by hand into /etc/modules. I have no
idea what I could've done if /etc was on the LVM, so I'm glad I took the
advice from the Gentoo folks. It didn't work when I just added the
scsi_mod module, so I added aic7xxx as well. Booted like a charm and
went into the "Welcome to Debian" spiel.

Power:
System would reboot okay, but when I told it to halt, the system went
through the motions, stopping at "Power down." I've seen Windows be that
stupid and not shut the system down, but I refuse to believe that I'm
stuck with the same.

During boot, I happened to notice an ACPI complaint about "ACPI disabled
because your bios is from 2000 and too old." Witty. I just updated the
BIOS on this system (habit), and I know it could handle ACPI. Research
reveals that adding "acpi=force" to the kernel options at boot will
resolve this. Plus, it worked when I tested it. Now in the process of
figuring out how to add that permanently to GRUB.

GRUB:
I know I'm a patient fellow, but it loads *WAY* too slow. Easily ten to
twenty seconds. Thoughts?

SMP:
Now I have two procs BIOS detects both okay, /proc/cpuinfo doesn't.
Thoughts?

I shall now run to dinner and Halo (w00t!). More (hopefully) late
tonight/early tomorrow.

MDK