[Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY FIVE

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:01:53 -0600

(Yes, this is a second Day Five update.)

The story so far:

SMP:
Success!

Debian-Installer gave me 2.6.8-386, which booted fine. Using apt-get, I
was able to try the 2.6.8-1-686-SMP, which hung, froze, and generally
didn't work. Looking at kernel.org, I see that 2.6.9 has recently been
released.

I update my /etc/apt/sources.list to include unstable, and grab the
2.6.9-1-686-SMP. Reboot, it works like a charm. I'm up to 1785.85 BogoMIPS.

Apache:
Tweaked config in /etc/apache2/sites-available/default to not show the
default Apache config, put my index.html in the right place, and as
expected, it Just Worked (tm). Up and running, static content being
served now. I've seen my page from outside my network.

Now, once I want to do some dynamic stuff, that's a different adventure.

MTA:
With three (two) days left, I need to make a decision and just get mail
working. I really like the extensive documentation I've found for qmail,
especially at the Rocks Project- so that's my choice.

More in the next installment.

MDK