Re: [Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY FIVE

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:33:09 -0600

Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Jeremy (mailing list box) wrote:
>
>> Both of those ports are deprecated, however. I learned that the
>> hard way. :)
>

> Did someone beat you with a clue-stick?

Not really. I ended up having to defend a providers setup (that had
been that way for a long time and couldn't change) because it was using
"deprecated" port assignments for services... The guy who was making
a big deal out of it was a stickler for IANA port numbers for some reason.

>> You should be able to use TLS so that you can have SSL capabilities
>> over the standard ports.
>

> If all your user's mail clients support TLS, that is.
>
> Mark.

Newer ones are suppose to support TLS now. IIRC, Thunderbird now has
TLS support built in.