Re: [Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY FOUR

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 23:33:55 -0600

Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> # apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686-smp
>
> Make sure your /boot/grub/menu.lst contains the line "savedefault" and
> at reboot, select the SMP kernel from the list.
>
> That should be all you need to do.

Negative, sadly. When I boot from the 2.6.8 686 SMP kernel, it freezes,
hanging at a spot near:

pnp: Device 00:12 activated.
pnp: Device 00:13 activated.

and then ttyS1 or ttys) being activated. Trying to get correct chunk of
/var/log/messages to post.

Choosing the 2.8.6 386 regular kernel, system boots normally. Oddly,
checking /var/log/messages makes it look like the system kept on
trucking, even though it didn't display any of the messages it logged.

May get frustrated and follow found instructions.

for 2.4 on Debian, but very thorough:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

2.6:
http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm