Re: [Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY FOUR

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:09:06 -0600

Mischa Krilov wrote:

> The whole system boots fine. First I have the IBM BIOS, then the Adaptec
> SCSI BIOS, both of which are just slow. I didn't see any kind of 'Quick
> Boot" option, but I need to doublecheck. Rough time log of booting:
>
> 0:00 Press power
> 0:35 IBM BIOS finishes
> 1:30 SCSI BIOS finishes
> 1:32 "GRUB Loading stage1.5" (sic)
> 2:04 "GRUB loading, please wait"
> 2:33 GRUB kernel selection screen appears
>
> So it does take some time to boot. Any ideas on speeding that up? I'm
> using GRUB 0.95.

There are some timeouts you can change in grub.conf. Still what does it
matter if the server boots load. If it's a server, you shouldn't be
booting it all that often anyway. Those times are typical for BIOS +
SCSI BIOS boots on Intel boxes. Dell Poweredge 6650 boxes I manage take
close to 10 minutes before they get past the BIOS to the OS from a cold
start. Some Sun Enterprise boxes I manage take even longer to get past
POST checks to the boot PROM. This is not a problem since these boxes
are rarely, if ever, rebooted.

--
Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"