Re: [Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY FOUR

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:37:30 -0600

Cool. I need to spend some time looking at grub.conf.

> Is it getting past the BIOS POST? What's on the screen during that 10-20
> seconds?

The whole system boots fine. First I have the IBM BIOS, then the Adaptec
SCSI BIOS, both of which are just slow. I didn't see any kind of 'Quick
Boot" option, but I need to doublecheck. Rough time log of booting:

0:00 Press power
0:35 IBM BIOS finishes
1:30 SCSI BIOS finishes
1:32 "GRUB Loading stage1.5" (sic)
2:04 "GRUB loading, please wait"
2:33 GRUB kernel selection screen appears

So it does take some time to boot. Any ideas on speeding that up? I'm
using GRUB 0.95.

> and you're running an smp kernel?

I'm pretty sure I'm not. How can I confirm that before I compile a new
kernel? I did find some helpful pages for Debian kernel work- I'll post
them when I have a working solution.

MDK