Re: [Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY TWO

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:51:18 -0600

> The other way is similar. A host/provider/friend accepts mail for
> yourdomain.com and you use POP3 or IMAP to retrieve it. If you use
> fetchmail, it will inject the mail into your system via smtp so it can
> run through amavisd/clamd/spamassassin/etc just like a "real" mailserver.
>
> No matter what, if you have a domain name and you want people to send
> mail to your domain, the host you designate to do that must be
> accessible via tcp port 25.

I was planning on speaking up in a few weeks, but I guess now is as good a
time as any. When Paul and I dedicated a server to nolug.org, I decided to
offer accounts and services to nolug members. Web, mail, DNS, any leet tricks
you need done (like I did this morning for Christopher Jones who needed to
get around a pesky firewall) --- that's what the box was originally put up
for. All active nolug members are hereby offered an account on the server,
subject to sane security policies. $username@nolug.org and
http://nolug/org/~$username can be yours for the asking. This is my way of
helping out those that want a small web presence, but can't, for various
reasons, run their own server on a decent connection.

I am willing to accept mail for your domain as Scott mentioned, but not just
yet. If I can get a spare hour or two, I'll finish getting my mail server the
way I want it (hopefully in the next couple of weeks), and you can then pull
your mail off the server and have it delivered locally.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL