Re: [Nolug] Community project: Mail/web server for Mischa DAY TWO

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:48:45 -0600

Charles Cox wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2004 12:53, Scott Harney wrote:
> thats why I want to use rollernet.us to accept the mail then I will setup my
> smtp to run on port 2525 or whatever ?

You can run smptd (sendmail, postfix, whatever) on any port you want.
If machines cannot deliver mail to yourdomain.com via SMTP on port 25,
the mail will bounce. There is no way for you to designate in DNS that
you run your MX (Mail eXchanger) for yourdomain.com on a different port.

Two workarounds spring to mind and I have done both of them.
You have a host that accept mail (is MX for) yourdomain.com. It
forwards all mail it accepts for yourdomain.com to your real server
listening on a port other than 25. The MX you set up could be an
account with a friend's box, at a colo (you pay for it) or perhaps there
are some services out there that will do this for you for minimal/no
charge.

The other way is similar. A host/provider/friend accepts mail for
yourdomain.com and you use POP3 or IMAP to retrieve it. If you use
fetchmail, it will inject the mail into your system via smtp so it can
run through amavisd/clamd/spamassassin/etc just like a "real" mailserver.

No matter what, if you have a domain name and you want people to send
mail to your domain, the host you designate to do that must be
accessible via tcp port 25.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"