Re: [Nolug] Linux-friendly DSL providers

From: Scott Amerland <n5zow_at_amerland.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:08:18 -0500

Joey Kelly wrote:

>We all know about Southern Star (http://www.sstar.com), and John the owner is
>a frequent poster on this list. He charges $60 per month, plus as setup fee,
>with a small discount for nolug members. He blocks no ports (Cox and
>BellSouth and others block outgoing ports 25 and 80, or mail and web), and
>quite frankly Knows His Stuff.
>
>I work as a part-time tech for Gulf South Internet (http://www.gs.net),
>another Metairie-based ISP. Gulf South charges $50 per month with a setup
>fee, and does not block ports. Jesse Palmer and his dad run HP, BSD and OSX
>in their NOC, so he is also a geek like us, though he doesn't run Linux, to
>my knowledge. The downside to his service is that the cheaper DSL offerings
>(the ones you guys are most likely to choose) are PPPoE, which isn't fatal,
>but it's an extra hassle.
>
>John has been kind to us and his service is quite good. As I said, I work for
>Gulf South and theoretically stand to profit by recommending them, but I do
>want it known that they exist and are friendly toward clued users. If you're
>looking to get DSL and choose either of their services, please tell them that
>you heard about them at NOLUG.
>
>Thanks.

I was wondering Joey, what do most people prefer when running Linux?
Cable or DSL? I have my own preferences and went with business cable
recently. Mainly only because of the blocked ports on the residential
service. What are your preferences? And I was wanting to hear some
experiences when setting up a system with DSL especially PPPoE.....

                                   Thanks,
                                               Scott