Re: [Nolug] Linux-friendly DSL providers

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:02:09 -0600

-ray wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Joey Kelly wrote:
>

>>I work as a part-time tech for Gulf South Internet (http://www.gs.net),
>>another Metairie-based ISP. Gulf South charges $50 per month with a setup
>>fee, and does not block ports. Jesse Palmer and his dad run HP, BSD and OSX
>>in their NOC, so he is also a geek like us, though he doesn't run Linux, to
>>my knowledge. The downside to his service is that the cheaper DSL offerings
>>(the ones you guys are most likely to choose) are PPPoE, which isn't fatal,
>>but it's an extra hassle.
>

> Do these isp's offer the new 3meg DSL service? I'd heard from i-55 that
> changes at Bellsouth now REQUIRE them to use PPPoE for 3meg DSL.
> Previously you could just hardcode your static IP. You can still get a
> static ip, but it must be assigned over PPPoE.
>
> ray

Any provider using Bellsouth and wanting to offer 3Mbps is going to have
to use PPPoE. That happened when Bellsouth decided to move over to a
new network architecture they call BBG. The details on that, however,
are scant since Bellsouth tends to be tight lipped about network
anything.

To answer your question though, any provider that offers DSL in the
Bellsouth territory has the option of offering 3Mbps service. It all
depends on if they want to offer it. I know that Southern Star, I-55
and some others do. The only problem is you have to deal with the fact
that you will never get more than 2500-2700kbps...

Bellsouth provisions speed at the physical level, so once you factor in
PPPoE, you end up getting less than you paid for. I've seen other
telcos provision at the PPPoE level so that even after overhead, you
still got full speed. Bellsouth seems, however, to do their own
thing. Their claim is that PPPoE is better for customers when its
really not.