Re: [Nolug] WinXP problems

From: Charles Jouglard <pcguy1_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:06:23 -0600

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:26:00 -0600, Joey Kelly wrote:
This is part rant, and part plea for help.

I had 2 incidences (and have talked to others who have experienced this, one
of which lurks here and needs a solution) where someone plugs an XP laptop
into the network, immediately causing problems. I've seen a lone XP laptop
take down an entire LAN. Other types of problems I've heard about include XP
finding and connecting to a wireless AP across the street and deciding on its
own to "bridge" the 2 LANs. By the way, I know what bridging is, but I
suspect that Redmond's idea of it is slightly different.

A). What the &$*%# is going on with XP? What causes it to DoS a LAN?

B). How can a laptop be told to say on its side of the fence (we're talking
clueless sales dweebs that aren't smart enough to toggle the wireless NIC off
when they enter the building)?

C). I'm looking for ideas (links, too) about these problems, technical
descriptions thereof, solutions and work-arounds.

I know that XP Professional is much saner than XP Personal, but since these
are worker-owned laptops, I have no control over what they bring into the
building. The company in question has a ban on XP, but that doesn't stop some
users from trying to sneak their XP laptops into the building.

Thanks.

Joey,
There is a setting in the network properties for XP that you have to uncheck.
Ready for this????  It says "Let Windows mange my network connection"!!!!!  Now,
why would you really want to do that?
It causes many a problem.  This may not be the ultimate cause of your issues but
it is good to disable the feature as it does cause chaos and havoc.
In most cases you should be able to disable the feature and let the wireless
card's software manage the connection.
But then again since Microsoft believes this is a feature and is to your
benefit, you may have other issues.  We have a couple of laptops with XP for
testing purpose and I've disabled this setting and haven't run into any issues
along these lines since doing so.

Cheers,
Charles