Re: [Nolug] Which Linux is best?

From: Dave Prentice <prentice_at_instruction.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:46:13 -0600

Chris,
I have a Dell Latitude Pentium 166 mhz with a 2 gig drive and 96 meg
of RAM, which is certainly not the latest and greatest hardware. It's
been running Vector Linux 3.2 (a variant of Debian) for a long time
now, without even the shadow of a ghost of hint of a hiccup. It's got
all the apps he might ever need. A fullblown install of the latest
version (4.0 or so) takes no more than 2.5 gig.
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com
http://www.originsresource.org

>Chris Johnston wrote:
>> I am going to install Linux on an old machine that someone gave me
(it
>> now has Win 95) and give it to my brother for Christmas.
>
>What kind of hardware are we talking about? As a new computer user,
he
>may not know what he wants to do with a computer, so you won't want
>confuse the user. Also, many of the modern heavyweight distros won't
>play nice on older hardware- You'll be setting him up for
aggravation,
>frustration, and a bad Linux/first-time-computer experience. This is
>Bad Thing.
>
>Tell us more what he wants to do with it: is there a printer
involved? a
> modem? games?
>
>> Which version
>> of Linux would be appropriate for a newbie? By the way, I have SuSE
>> 6.0 and 9.0, Mandrake 7, and RedHat 6.0 all available to me at the
>> moment.
>
>I'd use none of those. Depending on hardware, I think you'll want to
>choose a more minimalist distro. I'd recommend Damn Small Linux,
Feather