Re: [Nolug] Which Linux is best?

From: Chris Johnston <cmjohnston_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:56:02 -0600

No printer, there is a modem but based on the machine it's probably a
winmodem. He is most likely going to want to play games but that will
come later. If I can get a monitor tonight I will boot it up and pull
out all the pertinent info that I will need when I load Linux.

Chris

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:37:28 -0600, Mischa Krilov <subs@krilov.com> wrote:
> Chris Johnston wrote:
> > I am going to install Linux on an old machine that someone gave me (it
> > now has Win 95) and give it to my brother for Christmas.
>
> What kind of hardware are we talking about? As a new computer user, he
> may not know what he wants to do with a computer, so you won't want to
> confuse the user. Also, many of the modern heavyweight distros won't
> play nice on older hardware- You'll be setting him up for aggravation,
> frustration, and a bad Linux/first-time-computer experience. This is a
> Bad Thing.
>
> Tell us more what he wants to do with it: is there a printer involved? a
> modem? games?
>
> > Which version
> > of Linux would be appropriate for a newbie? By the way, I have SuSE
> > 6.0 and 9.0, Mandrake 7, and RedHat 6.0 all available to me at the
> > moment.
>
> I'd use none of those. Depending on hardware, I think you'll want to
> choose a more minimalist distro. I'd recommend Damn Small Linux, Feather
> Linux, or the more feature-complete Vector Linux.
>
> See this wiki page for more links to Lightweight Linux:
> http://nolug.org/nolugwiki/index.cgi?LightweightLinux
>
> MDK

Chris Johnston
www.christopherjohnston.net