[Nolug] Can't use printer as usb device anymore

From: John Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:39:28 -0600

As of today, my printer will only work under parallel. I like to keep it usb
on this machine so I can use parallel on the portable and the Windows box.
When I try to configure it the way "Fedora Linux 2 for Dummies" says, I get
this:
    /dev/usb/lp0 does not exist or is not writeable
ls -l /dev/usb/lp0 gives "crw" etc.

This is, I think, a disk problem. I still can't use CDs and am detailing
that in a separate message. I found an NIC I had put away in an unmarked box
and put in this machine and it was immediately accepted. Getting rtl8169,
unpacking and doing insmod r8169.mod.o didn't help. I'm hoping that when I
get the Windows box to read CDs (same problem as on this one) I can use the
CD that came with the motherboard (built-in NIC).