Re: [Nolug] Network/internet connection problems (DSL)

From: John Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:06:37 -0600

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:12:30 -0600
  "John Souvestre" <johns@sstar.com> wrote:
> Hello John.
>
>>From what you describe, your problem is internal, probably on the w2k
>>system
> itself. The 169.254.x.x address is the result of it running DHCP to get
> local address, but not finding a DHCP server, hence generating one
itself
>from
> the 169.254.x.x "self assigned" range. From what you describe the
>machine
> should have a static address. Apparent it doesn't, hence the problem.
>
> John
>
> John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com

Initially, switching to static address worked, except for internet access.
One time I got a message about javascript, which I haven't been able to
duplicate; I just get "can't connect" or something to that effect.
     What is happening how is that computer B (w2k) can see that C and D are
there but can't see D's files. C and D can see B but want a password to show
B's files; I have tried every password I have in use network- and
system-wise and none works, nor does a blank. D (w98) can see C's (w95)
files, but C can't see D's. They can all ping each other, and both C and D
can get to the internet (thought their small screens are about to make me go
blind). A is still off the network, though plugged in, because it can't
recognize its build-in NIC because it's looking for the wrong driver and I
can't figure out how to change that.

RTL-8169