Re: [Nolug] I think my linux server has been infected???

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:33:28 -0600

Charles Cox wrote:
> Something strange happened over the week-end other than me coming down
> with the flu.I no longer have access to the internet via my network eth0
> and all of a sudden my sound is not configured anymore.This all happened
> about the same time.I tried another network card and nothing.I am using
> my windows box with the network card that came out of the Linux
> server.Are there any viruses out there that possibly caused this???

Defintely not a virus. I assume you rebooted the box after you
witnessed this. perhaps you need to watch the bootup. If it's obscured
by a graphic you should be able to disable that or use the 'dmesg |
less' command to view startup messages and kernel messages. Look
through /var/log/messages and other files in /var/log -- you'll find
hits there.

I suspect your box had a hardware problem, perhaps a runaway cron job
process ate up RAM which killed off several processes. Or even just a
buggy dekstop app can do this.

Consider booting a knoppix CD and see if all your hardware is recognized.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"