Re: [Nolug] Unbootable disk

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:21:21 -0600

John Tiedeman wrote:
> A Seagate disk, which tests o.k. with Seatools, won't boot and using
> Ultimate Boot CD and selecting to boot it, shows unbootable. I have a
> big download on it that I would like to recover. Some combination of
> attempts produces the message "Grub -- loading stage 2" and nothing
> happens after that. How can I call the boot sector from the boot CD and
> then repair grub?

This link may help:
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm

If you don't care about booting the disk again and you just want to get the
data off, boot a knoppix CD. once there you can mount the offending drive,
find the file and copy it to some other place.

Readers might want to know what sequence of events preceded this disk becoming
unbootable. They might also what to know what "Some combine of attempts" were
that result in an error from grub. Could probably get some more detailed
assistance that way.

--
Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"