Re: [Nolug] Networked printer not accessible from Linux

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:40:20 -0600

John Tiedeman wrote:
> My LaserJet 3300 works fine through my Siemens 2614 router from Windows
> 2000 (desktop) and my two ancient HP portables (W95 and W98). But the
> only way I can get it to work from FC2 or FC3 is USB. Is there perhaps a
> driver missing?

Really hard to say. There's not enough information here to make a meaningful
recommendation or diagnosis.

I don't know what a "Siemens 2614 router" is or how it expects to communicate
with your printer. (I could probably Google it and read the documentation for
the Siemens 2614 router to find out) I also don't know what you tried in FC2
or FC3 to "get it to work". I don't know how any details of how this
router/printer combo communicates successfully with your Windows machines. I
_assume_ you are printing via the network, but I don't know how. Probably with
Windows networking, aka SMB. There _are_ ways to print to SMB (Windows)
printers under Linux. But again, we don't know enough about the problem you
are trying to solve. Can you provide a little more detail?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you really need the help, you need
to put a little more details and effort in the request. Let us know how you
got where you are and what you've tried so far. The more specific you are, the
better the chance you'll get a usable answer. Don't be afraid to have a long
post, just summarize the issue at the top and then put the salient details in
the following paragraphs. Those who don't want to read the long post/can't
help will just move on after reading your first paragraph.

And if you're not sure of some of the details, go ahead and say so. For
example, say "I print over the network from my Windows machines but I'm not
sure how that works. When I set them up, Windows was able to find the printer
on the network automatically" That will tell a potential helper a lot more
about your problem and hopefully how to fix it.

Here's a longish article on the subject of "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way"
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .

--
Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"