[Nolug] OT - FreeBSD 5.3/OpenSSH 3.6.1 Weirdness

From: David John <david_at_digitalsolutions-la.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 15:10:31 -0600 (CST)

Hello All,

     I'm using FreeBSD 5.3 with the latest ports. I Installed OpenSSH
3.6.1 from ports with the default configuration. Everything works
great, well almost. For some reason SSH is extremely slow, scp too.
It works but it's just really slow.

     The weird part is, while I was installing FreeBSD/OpenSSH at home,
SSH worked flawlessly. It's only when I run it on the LAN at work
that SSH gets real slow ( > 30 seconds to login.)

     I have a RedHat Enterprise box with OpenSSH 3.6.1 (from RPM) and all
works fine. (It's on a service network though so probably a bad
example.)

     It seems like it's only related to OpenSSH on FreeBSD. I have
another FreeBSD 5.3 box running Qmail & OpenSSH. It behaves the same
way with ssh being very slow. (Qmail runs fine.)

       Could another machine/protocol/whatever on the LAN be causing the
SSH latency? If so, anyone know about or ever had this problem?
Thanks.

David John