Re: [Nolug] OT - FreeBSD 5.3/OpenSSH 3.6.1 Weirdness

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 17:27:44 -0600

David John wrote:
> Hello All,

Is it slow just when you intially connect and then the session is fine?
 If so, it's probably reverse DNS lookup timing out. Set up reverse DNS
if you can on your LAN or edit sshd_config and change UseDNS to No.

> I'm using FreeBSD 5.3 with the latest ports. I Installed OpenSSH
> 3.6.1 from ports with the default configuration. Everything works
> great, well almost. For some reason SSH is extremely slow, scp too.
> It works but it's just really slow.
>
> The weird part is, while I was installing FreeBSD/OpenSSH at home,
> SSH worked flawlessly. It's only when I run it on the LAN at work
> that SSH gets real slow ( > 30 seconds to login.)
>
> I have a RedHat Enterprise box with OpenSSH 3.6.1 (from RPM) and all
> works fine. (It's on a service network though so probably a bad
> example.)
>
> It seems like it's only related to OpenSSH on FreeBSD. I have
> another FreeBSD 5.3 box running Qmail & OpenSSH. It behaves the same
> way with ssh being very slow. (Qmail runs fine.)
>
> Could another machine/protocol/whatever on the LAN be causing the
> SSH latency? If so, anyone know about or ever had this problem?
> Thanks.
>
> David John

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"
gpg key fingerprint=7125 0BD3 8EC4 08D7 321D CEE9 F024 7DA6 0BC7 94E5