Re: [Nolug] Why AMD64?

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:46:05 -0500

Brett D. Estrade wrote:
> Is this using the AMD64 as the client or server? I honestly don't see
> any benefit that 64 bit would add to serving files, especially since the
> bottleneck would defitely be the speed of the network.

Perhaps a bit of future proofing. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of
when 64bit becomes dominant in the x86 commodity world. Of course we've had it
on Sparc for a long, long time now. It's probably still in theearly adopter
phase right now -- something you might want to have on hand for evaluation as
much as anything else.

As far as the Cisco guys comment regarding file access. I suppose if you had at
least a Gig backbone or perhaps a path to a 10G backbone it might be a smart
play. But you'd have to look at all the components to see if you'd get any
real benefit right now.

No emperical data to back this up. That's just my gut take on it right now.

--
Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"