Re: [Nolug] Why AMD64?

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:14:30 -0500

On Monday April 4 2005 10:46, Scott Harney spake:

> Perhaps a bit of future proofing. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of
> when 64bit becomes dominant in the x86 commodity world. Of course we've
> had it on Sparc for a long, long time now.

I read yesterday that MS just finalized their 64-bit version of XP
(http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/02/1413219&tid=201&tid=126&tid=164).

Paul Taylor has an AMD64 box and seems happy with it. He's run the XP beta and
SuSE 9.2 on it so far, and might have some comment on the platform.

GPG key fingerprint = 8F11 D859 81A6 DE8C 5429  4A07 7146 1AFD 5C41 161E
"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL