Re: [Nolug] Request for a Cox user...

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 02:03:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Jeremy (mailing list box) wrote:

>> What makes you think it's bad? (1)
>
> I know you weren't asking me, but if I'm going to the West Coast from here, I
> would expect to go through Dallas... Like so:

Perhaps Cox doesn't have a PoP in Dallas? Or maybe the Dallas link is
slow and more congested. If Cox has to peer with another ISP in
Dallas to get to the west coast, it may very well be faster to go
through Atlanta and stay on the Cox network as long as possible.

Just because you hit Atlanta first doesn't necessarily mean it's a
bad/slow path. Of course this is conjecture since i know nothing about
Cox's network, and ISP's have been known to make very bad routing
decisions in the past. Just wanted to point out that the most direct
physical path is not always the best/shortest network path.

ray