Re: [Nolug] Request for a Cox user...

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 02:38:52 -0500

-ray wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Jeremy (mailing list box) wrote:
>
>>> What makes you think it's bad? (1)
>>

>> I know you weren't asking me, but if I'm going to the West Coast from
>> here, I would expect to go through Dallas... Like so:
>

> Perhaps Cox doesn't have a PoP in Dallas? Or maybe the Dallas link is
> slow and more congested. If Cox has to peer with another ISP in Dallas
> to get to the west coast, it may very well be faster to go through
> Atlanta and stay on the Cox network as long as possible.

I know that Cox used to have a PoP (with Level3) in Dallas at one time,
but it appears that may no longer be the case...

Ran traceroutes from all of the major North American Level3 PoPs* and
all of them went through Atlanta, even the one from Dallas. That seems
to hint that they are either down in Dallas or don't have the Dallas PoP
anymore... That sucks big time. :(

Assuming this is a permanent change, I was hoping that Cox's routing
scheme had stayed on par with BSIS's or gotten better. Oh well, I'll
have to keep that in mind. I'm planning on getting the 4Mbps/512kbps
SOHO service.

Jeremy

* - have a whack at it yourself... http://www.level3.com/LookingGlass/