[Nolug] [Fwd: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, June 2]

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 22:13:45 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, June 2
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:17:37 -0700
From: Marsee Henon <marsee@oreilly.com>
To: scotth@scottharney.com

O'Reilly UG Program News--Just for User Group Leaders
June 2, 2005
-Put Up an O'Reilly OSCON Banner, Get a Free Book
-Put Up an O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference Banner, Get a Free Book
-Promotional Material Available
-Looking for Web Site or Newsletter Content?
Book Info
***Review books are available
Copies of our books are available for your members to review--
send me an email and please include the book's ISBN number on
your request. Let me know if you need your book by a certain date.
Allow at least four weeks for shipping.

***Please send copies of your book reviews
Email me a copy of your newsletters or book reviews.
For tips and suggestions on writing book reviews, go to:
http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html

***Discount information
Don't forget to remind your members about our 20% discount on O'Reilly,
No Starch, Paraglyph, Pragmatic Bookshelf, SitePoint, and Syngress
books. Just use code DSUG.

***Group purchases with better discounts are available
Please let me know if you are interested and I can put you in
touch with our sales department.

General News
***Put Up an O'Reilly OSCON Banner, Get a Free Book
We're looking for user groups to display our conference banner on their
web sites. If you send me the link to your group's site with our O'Reilly
2005 Open Source Convention banner, I will send you the O'Reilly book of
your choice.

OSCON Banners:
http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/oscon2005/

***Put Up an O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference Banner, Get a Free Book
We're looking for user groups to display our conference banner on their
web sites. If you send me the link to your group's site with our O'Reilly
Where 2.0 Conference banner, I will send you the O'Reilly book of your
choice.

Where 2.0 Conference Banners:
http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/where/

***Promotional Material Available:
The following items are available for your next meeting.
Numbers are limited so please don't wait too long.

Let me know the type and the amount you would like
and I'll do my best.

-O'Reilly Open Source Convention Brochures
-O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference Brochures
-MAKE Magazine

***Looking for Web Site or Newsletter Content?
Web site and newsletter editors--you can use the sample chapters or
sample hacks we provide online for your group's web site or newsletter.
Just reprint the article and include a URL back to the original page. You

can find these chapters (if available) on the catalog page for each book.
They are also included in the new release section of each UG newsletter.

Chapters are added weekly. New titles include "eBay Hacks," "Project 2003
Personal Trainer," "Web Mapping Illustrated," and "Learning Perl."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/ug_sample_chapters

O'Reilly News for User Group Members
June 2, 2005
Book News
-Essential Sharepoint
-Killer Game Programming in Java
-Classic Shell Scripting
-Infosec Career Hacking
-Learning Java, 3rd Edition
-DHTML Utopia
SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
-Degunking Linux
-Designing Embedded Hardware, 2nd Edition
-Database in Depth
-MySQL in a Nutshell
-MAKE Subscriptions Available
Upcoming Events
-Adam Goldstein ("AppleScript: The Missing Manual"), SoHo Apple Store,
 New York, NY--June 3
-O'Reilly at Tech Ed 2005, Orlando, FL--Jun 5-10
-O'Reilly at Apple WWDC, San Francisco, CA--June 6-10
-Sinan Si Alhir ("UML in a Nutshell"), UML & Design World 2005,
 Austin, TX--June 13-16
-James Avery ("Visual Studio Hacks") Dayton .NET Developers,
 Fairborn, OH--July 25
Conference News
-Registration is Open for the O'Reilly Open Source Convention,
  Portland, OR--August 1-5
-Where 2.0 Conference Registration Open,
  San Francisco, CA--June 29-30
News
-"Cult of Mac" and "Degunking Windows" Win IPPY Awards
-E3 2005: War of the Consoles...Almost
-Mapping the 802.11 Protocol
-Embedded-system Programmers Must Learn the Fundamentals
-Rendering Everything as Text
-A Simpler Ajax Path
-Rexx: Power Through Simplicity
-Learning Lab: Linux/Unix SysAdmin Certificate Special
-An Introduction to Tiger Terminal
-Japan Primer for the Mac Techno-Tourist
-20 Cool Tiger Features You Might Not Have Heard About
-Refactoring Support for Visual Basic 2005
-Ferreting Out Near-Identical Records in Access
-Building Web Parts, Part 1
-Constructing Services with J2EE
-Wire Hibernate Transactions in Spring
-Look Ma--Hands! Choosing and Using MIDI Controllers
-Steve Turnidge: Turning Weed into Green
-Consumer Camera Time-Lapse Movies
-DHTML Utopia: Modern Web Design
-Search Engines Know More Than You Think
-MAKE: Audio, Flickr, and del.icio.us

Book News
Did you know you can request a free book to review for your
group? Ask your group leader for more information.

For book review writing tips and suggestions, go to:
http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html

Don't forget, you can receive 20% off any O'Reilly, No Starch,
Paraglyph, Pragmatic Bookshelf, SitePoint, or Syngress book you
purchase directly from O'Reilly.
Just use code DSUG when ordering online or by phone 800-998-9938.
http://www.oreilly.com/

***Free ground shipping is available for online orders of at
least $29.95 that go to a single U.S. address. This offer
applies to U.S. delivery addresses in the 50 states and Puerto Rico.
For more details, go to:
http://www.oreilly.com/news/freeshipping_0703.html

New Releases
***Essential Sharepoint
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0596008805
This comprehensive guide covers all the key topics for getting you started
with Microsoft SharePoint. Learn everything there is to know about
creating a team-oriented website: how to turn it on, set it up, and set
your applications to work with it. Covering hosting choices,
administration, customization, and more, it's ideal for anyone who wants
to improve productivity through information sharing and document
collaboration.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/essentialsp/

Chapter 1, "Why Use SharePoint?" is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/essentialsp/

***Killer Game Programming in Java
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0596007302
This comprehensive guide has everything you need to program Java games. It
offers the most thorough coverage of Java 3D available, and clearly
details the older, better-known 2D APIs, 3D sprites, animated 3D sprites,
first-person shooter programming, sound, fractals, and networked games.
This practical book is a must-have for anyone who wants to create
adrenaline-fueled games in Java.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/killergame/

Chapter 22, "Flocking Boids," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/killergame/chapter/index.html

***Classic Shell Scripting
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0596005954
The ability to program and customize the shell quickly, reliably, and
portably is important for anyone operating and maintaining Unix or Linux
systems. This book gives you everything you need to master these essential
skills. The authors provide the tips, tricks, and organized knowledge
necessary to create excellent scripts, as well as warnings of the traps
that can turn your best efforts into bad shell scripts.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/shellsrptg/

Chapter 5, "Pipelines Can Do Amazing Things," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/shellsrptg/chapter/index.html

***Infosec Career Hacking
Publisher: Syngress
ISBN: 1597490113
Do you code for the sheer joy and challenge? If you want to refine your
skills and learn new ones to build an InfoSec career, this book is for
you. The authors have all applied their inherent hacker skills to build
successful InfoSec careers. From them, you will learn about the variety of
available jobs and the skills required to excel in each one.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1597490113/

***Learning Java, 3rd Edition
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0596008732
This bestselling hands-on tutorial delivers a no-nonsense approach to Java
5.0 features, such as "generics," loops, and threads. It addresses all of
the important uses of Java, such as web applications, servlets, and XML,
that are increasingly driving enterprise applications. The accompanying CD
includes the Java 5.0 SDK for Windows, Linux, and Solaris, plus the
Eclipse IDE, the NetBeans IDE, and the many example programs from the
book.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/learnjava3/

Chapter 8, "Generics," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/learnjava3/chapter/index.html

***DHTML Utopia
Publisher: SitePoint
ISBN: 0957921896
"DHTML Utopia" is a unique book about using JavaScript, HTML, and CSS
together to create extremely usable, standards compliant and modern
websites as well as updating your current designs to enhance the user
experience.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0957921896/index.html

***SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0596008953
Written for a wide, technical audience, this book covers several
implementations of SSH for different operating systems and computing
environments. Whether you're an individual running your home system or a
corporate network administrator with thousands of users, our indispensable
guide has you covered. It starts with simple installation and use of SSH,
and works its way to in-depth case studies on large, sensitive computer
networks.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sshtdg2/

Chapter 8, "Per-Account Server Configuration," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sshtdg2/chapter/index.html

***Degunking Linux
Publisher: Paraglyph
ISBN: 1933097043
This book will help users get their Linux configurations working
efficiently by providing them with a proven and time-saving 12-step
program to get rid of clutter and organize everything from user files to
system upgrades. This is the only book that is completely focused on
helping Linux users learn the causes of sluggish performance and how to
apply smart solutions to improve overall system performance.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1933097043/

***Designing Embedded Hardware, 2nd Edition
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0596007558
This book steers a course between books dedicated to writing code for
particular microprocessors and those that stress the philosophy of
embedded system design without providing any practical information. Loaded
with real examples, it also provides a roadmap of the pitfalls and traps
to avoid. If you want to build your own embedded system, or tweak an
existing one, this invaluable book gives you the understanding and
practical skills you need.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dbhardware2/

Chapter 6, "Building Hardware," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dbhardware2/chapter/index.html

***Database in Depth
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0596100124
This concise guide sheds light on the principles behind the relational
model, giving you an unbiased view that's not influenced by any vendor or
product. Featuring an extensive set of exercises, this book is ideal not
only for database developers and designers, but also for a diverse field
of professionals and academics, including database administrators,
information modelers, database consultants, and more.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/databaseid/

Chapter 1, "Introduction," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/databaseid/chapter/index.html

***MySQL in a Nutshell
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0596007892
This book clearly documents every detail you need to master MySQL. In
addition to providing a thorough reference to MySQL statements and
functions, the administrative utilities, and the most popular APIs, this
book even includes several tutorial chapters to help newcomers get
started. This wealth of information is conveniently packed into a concise,
comprehensive, and easy-to-use format.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mysqlian/

Chapter 6, "Date and Time Functions," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mysqlian/chapter/index.html

***MAKE Magazine Subscriptions Available
The annual subscription price for four issues is $34.95. When you
subscribe with this link, you'll get a free issue--the first one plus four
more for $34.95. So subscribe for yourself or friends with this great
offer for charter subscribers: five volumes for the cost of four.
Subscribe at:
https://www.pubservice.com/MK/Subnew.aspx?PC=MK&PK=M5ZUGLA

Upcoming Events
***For more events, please see:
http://events.oreilly.com/

***Adam Goldstein ("AppleScript: The Missing Manual"), SoHo Apple Store,
 New York, NY--June 3
Author Adam is a featured speaker at the SoHo Apple Store from
7:00-9:00pm.
http://www.apple.com/retail/soho/week/20050320.html

***O'Reilly at Tech Ed 2005, Orlando, FL--Jun 5-10
Stop by our booth (#1046/1048), check out our new titles, and say hi to
our authors while you attend Tech Ed. Some of latest books include ".NET
Gotchas" and "Visual Studio Hacks."
http://www.microsoft.com/events/teched2005/default.mspx

***O'Reilly at Apple WWDC, San Francisco, CA--June 6-10
On Tuesday, June 7, grab a tasty bag lunch and spend your lunchtime with
founder and CEO of O’Reilly Media, Tim O’Reilly. Tim will talk about
the innovations that are on his radar, and how Mac developers can begin
distributing the future today.
http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

***Sinan Si Alhir ("UML in a Nutshell"), UML & Design World 2005,
 Austin, TX--June 13-16
Author Sinan Si Alhir leads two sessions at this event: "Enterprise
Business Modeling" and "The Agile Unified Process (AUP)."
http://www.cmpevents.com/SDUM5/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=84520

***James Avery ("Visual Studio Hacks") Dayton .NET Developers,
 Fairborn, OH--July 25
Author James discusses getting the most out of Visual Studio's Integrated
Development Environment with his talk titled "Pimp your IDE." James is the
founder of the Cincinnati .NET Users Group and is the founder and
president of InfoZerk, a software consulting company.
http://www.daytondevgroup.net/schedule.htm

Conference News
***Registration is Open for the O'Reilly Open Source Convention,
 Portland, OR--August 1-5
OSCON 2005 explores three deep trends affecting open source: the
commoditization of software, network-enabled collaboration, and software
customizability. Join us at this essential gathering of open source
leaders and practitioners of every persuasion to exchange ideas and push
the boundaries of vital open source technologies. This year, we introduce
the Open Source Business Review, along with a host of other exciting
presentations and events.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

User Group members who register before June 20, 2005 get a double
discount. Use code "os05grpusr" when you register, and receive 15% off
the early registration price.

To register for the conference, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2005/create/ord_os05

***Where 2.0 Conference Registration Open,
  San Francisco, CA--June 29-30
Join us at the first O’Reilly Where 2.0 Conference. Location-based
services and mapping are becoming mainstream technologies. Meanwhile,
innovative new software makes it possible to apply the wealth of new data
to old business problems. Come explore the emerging consumer and
enterprise ecosystems around location-aware technologies that increasingly
impact the way we work and play.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/where/

Use code "whereug" when you register, and receive 15% off the registration
price.

To register for the conference, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2005/create/ord_where

News From O'Reilly & Beyond
---------------------
General News
---------------------
***"Cult of Mac" and "Degunking Windows" Win IPPY Awards
Congratulation to No Starch Press and Paraglyph Press for winning the 2005
Independent Publisher Book Awards. No Starch's "The Cult of Mac" by
Leander Kahney won for Most Unique Design and Paraglyph Press's "Degunking
Windows" won in the Computer/Internet category.
http://www.independentpublisher.com/

***E3 2005: War of the Consoles...Almost
E3 is the world's largest video game trade show, which means a lot of
networking and deal brokering. However, E3 is also the first chance for
the average gamer to get a sneak peek at the video games in development.
In a hardcore gamer's world, the flashy and elaborate E3 exhibits are like
Christmas morning--only in May. Stephen Cawood offers this report on E3
2005.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2005/05/23/E3expo.html

***Mapping the 802.11 Protocol
A trip to London and a bit of unique inspiration gave Matthew Gast the
ideas that would lead to the first draft of a visual map describing the
relationship between the various components of the 802.11 standard and
related security standards. Matthew details the road he took to the final
version of his 802.11 protocol map. Matthew is the author of "802.11: The
Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2005/05/20/80211map.html

***Embedded-system Programmers Must Learn the Fundamentals
No Starch's Randy Hyde's article in the new issue of "EDN Magazine."
Randy is the author of "Write Great Code" and "The Art of Assembly
Language."
http://www.edn.com/article/CA601846.html

---------------------
Open Source
---------------------
***Rendering Everything as Text
Ah, the days of plain-text everything are long gone, what with media files
(hooray!) and encumbered binary blobs (boo!). Is the solution to give up
your comfortable, efficient, and effective text-based tools? No way.
Philip Hollenback proposes that you can render any data format to
meaningful text for mail reading, indexing, and more. Here's how.
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2005/05/26/textonly.html

***A Simpler Ajax Path
After years of hacks, tricks, and workarounds, there's finally a
cross-browser, cross-platform way to communicate between client and server
in web applications. Matthew Eernisse demonstrates how to send and receive
structured data with XMLHttpRequest and shows off some tricks to make
debugging and error handling easier.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/05/18/swingxactions.html

***Rexx: Power Through Simplicity
The P-languages get most of the press these days, but they're not the only
dynamic languages in the world. Arguably, Rexx is the grandfather of them
all. It's received little attention in the open source world, despite
several good open source implementations. Howard Fosdick shows off some of
the features of the language with practical examples.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/05/26/rexx.html

***Learning Lab: Linux/Unix SysAdmin Certificate Special
Learn system administration skills online and receive certification from
the University of Illinois Office of Continuing Education. Courses
include: The Unix File System, Networking and DNS, Unix Services
(including email and web servers), and Scripting for Administrators with
Sed, Awk, and Perl. It's all at the O'Reilly Learning Lab. Enroll and save
40%.
http://www.oreilly.com/redirector.csp?link=UASys&type=news

---------------------
Mac
---------------------
***An Introduction to Tiger Terminal
Now that you've had a chance to enjoy all of the GUI goodies in Mac OS X
10.4, you might be ready to check out what's happening with the Terminal
app. This article will introduce you to Tiger's Terminal app and CLI
(command-line interface).
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/05/20/terminal1.html

***Japan Primer for the Mac Techno-Tourist
Many of us believe that Japan is the land of geek nirvana. If you're
contemplating a visit to the gadget promise land, you'll enjoy Todd
Ogasawara's report on everything from cell phone coverage to buying Mac
accessories.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/05/27/japan.html

***20 Cool Tiger Features You Might Not Have Heard About
Even though Tiger has been out for a while now, many of its major features
have nuances that haven't received much press--and there are a zillion
minor tweaks to discuss. Scott Knaster takes you on a tour of clever, and
sometimes even obscure Tiger goodies.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/05/13/tiger_tips.html

---------------------
Windows/.NET
---------------------
***Refactoring Support for Visual Basic 2005
Microsoft recently announced that they have teamed up with Developer
Express Inc. to release Refactor! for Visual Basic 2005 Beta 2, a free
plugin for Visual Studio that enables Visual Basic developers to simplify
and restructure source code inside of Visual Studio 2005. Wei-Meng Lee
walks you through the new refactoring.
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2005/05/31/vbrefactoring.html

***Ferreting Out Near-Identical Records in Access
Working with lists of contacts is a common database activity, but as a
list grows, so do the chances for duplicate records. Ken Bluttman shows
one technique for ferreting out these near-identical records in Access
using the InStr function to find when one value in one field is inside the
value of the same field in another record. Ken is the author of "Access
Hacks."
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/05/24/accesshacks.html

***Building Web Parts, Part 1
Web sites today contain a wealth of information; so much that a poorly
designed site can easily overwhelm users. To better help users cope,
portal web sites today (such as MSN) often organize their data into
discrete units that support a degree of personalization. In this first of
three articles, Wei-Meng Lee discusses how to use Web Parts for user
customization in your ASP.NET 2.0 web sites.
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2005/05/23/webparts_1.html

---------------------
Java
---------------------
***Constructing Services with J2EE
Web services are a popular means of deploying service-oriented
applications, and the standards in J2EE 1.4 make it easier to develop
services that are portable and interoperable. Debu Panda shows you how,
and takes a look at how things will get easier in J2EE 5.0.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/05/25/j2ee-services.html

***Wire Hibernate Transactions in Spring
The proper handling of transactions across multiple data stores,
supporting multiple application flows, is the kind of heavy lifting J2EE
servers were built for. But what if you're using the lighter-weight Spring
framework? Binildas C.A. shows how you can wire Spring and Hibernate
together to achieve the transaction support you desire.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/05/18/swingxactions.html

---------------------
Digital Media
---------------------
***Look Ma--Hands! Choosing and Using MIDI Controllers
If you really want to play today's wonderful software instruments, drop
that mouse and grab a dedicated MIDI controller. In this MP3-enhanced
tutorial, you'll hear the dramatic difference controllers make in musical
expressivity, then get buying and usage tips.
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/06/01/controller1.html

***Steve Turnidge: Turning Weed into Green
Go behind the scenes with the co-founder of Weedshare.com, the service
that pays you--and the original artist--to share music. Driven by
ex-Microsoft and Real Networks employees, Weed is totally legal, and even
supports surround sound.
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/05/25/weed.html

***Consumer Camera Time-Lapse Movies
Pocket digicams are great for still photos, and some of them even record
quality video. But you can push the envelope even further with these
devices. Here's how two photo novices created their first time-lapse
production.
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/05/18/timelapse.html

---------------------
Web
---------------------
***DHTML Utopia: Modern Web Design
What do Flickr, Google Suggest, Google Maps, and GMail have in common?
They all employ some of the latest methods in modern, unobtrusive DHTML.
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/dhtml-utopia-modern-web-design

***Search Engines Know More Than You Think
Learn how Google's personalized web search and Yahoo's Mindset work and
how they take searching to a whole new level.
http://www.sitepoint.com/blog-post-view.php?id=268282

---------------------
MAKE
---------------------
***MAKE: Audio
The MAKE Team thought it would be fun to talk with pal Richard Giles in
Australia. They chatted about MAKE Volume 02, E3, Astromechs, VoIP for the
Nintendo DS, NASA's O2 challenge, the XBOX 360, Broadcast Flag part 2, and
more. Next up, they interview Jordan Kanarek and Jim Garretson from
roadcasting.org. What's roadcasting? Interactive, collaborative, mobile
radio stations for cars. It could be a glimpse of what's to come for our
daily commutes!
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/make_podcast/

***MAKE Flickr
Join the MAKE Flickr photo pool today. You never know what you'll see or
what we'll be giving away next! Where else can you see a potato cannon in
action?
http://www.flickr.com/groups/make/pool/

***MAKE del.icio.us
On the MAKE bookmark page, there are over 1,500 links to hacks, mods, DIY
projects, and all-around tinkering goodness. Be a MAKE voyeur and read
what we're reading.
http://del.icio.us/makemagazine

This week's faves include:

Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/

Abusing Amazon Images
http://aaugh.com/imageabuse.html

WSJ on Gaming
http://www.oreilly.com/go/wsj_on_gaming

How to Stock Your Bar for a Party
http://www.degraeve.com/howto/stock-your-bar.php

***The MAKE blog is available at:
http://www.makezine.com/blog/

>From Your Peers
***Don't forget to check out the O'Reilly UG wiki to see what user groups
around the globe are up to:
http://wiki.oreillynet.com/usergroups/index.cgi

Until next time--

Marsee Henon