[Nolug] Gentoo install

From: John D. Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:38:59 -0500

I got tired of getting "missing file" messages every time I try to
install anything in Fedora and have read here that Gentoo is better in
that regard. I'm doing a Stage 3 install and got thru "7.a. Timezone,"
but when I got to "Installing the Sources," entering "emerge
gentoo-sources" the message was "!!! ARCH is not set ... Are you missing
the /etc/make.profile symlink? Is your portage tree complete?"

I found the symlink to be as specified, but I had skipped "mkdir
/etc/portage" and therefore had not linked glibc userlocales and
/etc/portage/package.use. I was allowed to create the directory but when
I tried to link I was told "no space left on device." I have 750Mb RAM
in that box. How far back do I need to go and redo?