Re: [Nolug] Gentoo install

From: Eddie Mihalow Jr <prr56_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 07:41:05 +0000

John D. Tiedeman wrote:
> I got tired of getting "missing file" messages every time I try to
> install anything in Fedora and have read here that Gentoo is better in
> that regard. I'm doing a Stage 3 install and got thru "7.a. Timezone,"
> but when I got to "Installing the Sources," entering "emerge
> gentoo-sources" the message was "!!! ARCH is not set ... Are you missing
> the /etc/make.profile symlink? Is your portage tree complete?"
>
> I found the symlink to be as specified, but I had skipped "mkdir
> /etc/portage" and therefore had not linked glibc userlocales and
> /etc/portage/package.use. I was allowed to create the directory but when
> I tried to link I was told "no space left on device." I have 750Mb RAM
> in that box. How far back do I need to go and redo?

Edward A Mihalow Jr
Gentoo!Linux
Registered Linux User#225662
Are you using the 2005.0 install cd? And how big are your partitions (/ etc)
I've found that during install instead of using stage 1, I use stage3
for my
arch (P4, P3.etc), then "emerge  -uDp world", edit make.conf as to use
flags,
~arch or ~x86, etc. After that is set, then you can rebuild to the
latest stable
packages for building your basic toolchain. After that is accomplished
"emerge
gentoo-sources" Also, (and this is something I forget all the time) is
"env-update &&
source /etc/profile" to let the env know youv'e made changes.