[Nolug] Mensa Linux talk

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 02:55:47 -0500

Last Firday I gave my talk at the Mensa conference, which was held at the
Sheraton on Canal. Some of you might remember that they contacted me after
Red Hat ignored their request for a speaker.

Anyhow, there were about 15 people in attendance. There were 2 hard-core
Linux/BSD users (one of which was Novell employee from Atlanta), a couple of
guys looking to migrate to Linux, and the rest were basically curious
onlookers. Oh, and one guy took Microsoft's side and enjoyed himself
immensely while debating with himself :-)

One interesting thing happened that you guys might laugh about: I was not able
to toggle my laptop display over to the projector that Mensa provided. Every
time I tried, the video would scramble. About halfway through the talk, I
mentioned my earlier attempts to get it to work, and the Novell guy spoke up
and said that this was a known issue for SuSE (which is what I run on that
laptop), and that his company was reportedly working on a fix. I don't know
if that bug is Dell-specific or not, nor have I taken the time to google for
details.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL