Re: [Nolug] System died with a pop

From: Jonathan Schwehm <jonathan_at_figstreet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:08:44 -0500

I've seen or heard about this sort of problem more often than I'd like
to remember.

What I do to diagnose it is to first unplug the box and move it to a
place where it's easy to work with a lot of light. If you're concerned
about the contents of the hard drive, remove it, plug it into a good
system, and back it up. And if the hard drive doesn't work in a good
system, then it's likely that that's the part that blew.

In the broken box, remove any unnecessary parts/expansion cards until
you get down to basically processor, fan, memory, and video card. The
power supply may be broken, but it is at least powering the CD and fans.
  If the system posts with just these parts, then you can start slowly
re-inserting the others to see which one is broken.

If it doesn't post (and there's no sparks flying out from the box), you
can try something like this:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DC-01AE&cpc=SCH&srm=0

to see what the culprit may be.

Jonathan