[Nolug] Re: [brlug-general] Laptop WiFi

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:27:29 -0500

> So the question arises whether I would be better off
> buying a WPC11 card or spending just a little more
> and getting something like the WPC54G card, also
> from Linksys. Any experience with these cards?

I just got off my butt and played with NDSwrapper today. I bought a couple of
Belkin cards from Home Depot (PCMCIA and USB), and as someone else noted, I
had quite a time getting the USB card to work (I haven't tried the other one
yet). My issue was finding the right tool to extract the InstallShield cab
files from the Windows install CD. I finally located the unshield utility
(http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/unshield.php), and it was all downhill
from there.

I followed the installation page
(http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation) on the
NDISwrapper site, and had no issues (well, after I told SuSE to leave my
network devices alone, and ditto the firewall, I'll have to work on that
later). I wrote a little script to start my network, which I've pasted below,
if anyone needs it.

So, for $35 ($40 for the USB stick) at Home Depot, the Belkin stuff can be
made to work with Linux.

Here's the script (adjust for taste):

ruth:/home/jkelly # cat /root/bin/homewireless.sh
#!/bin/bash
modprobe ndiswrapper
iwconfig wlan0 essid NumberNine mode Managed
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.2.85 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 192.168.2.1

If you're wondering, I run an open AP at my complex, and I live in apartment
#9 ;-)

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL