Re: [Nolug] slightly off topic

Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:56:07 -0600

Chris Johnston wrote:
> I recently ordered DSL and plan on setting up a 802.11g network inside
> my apartment. Since I have not had a land line phone in over a year I
> need to purchase a new phone. I am aware that 2.4Ghz phone provide
> interference with a 802.11 b/g network. Should I purchase a 900mhz phone
> or a 5.8Ghz phone to reduce any possible interference?
>
> --
> Christopher Johnston

Supposedly, if you run your 802.11b network on channel 11, the
interference from a 2.4ghz phone is minimal...

The problem with 900 Mhz phones is that they are NOT secure in the least
  because any amateur radio fanatic with a decent scanner can pick up
your conversations.

5.8Ghz phones would probably be a good investment, but keep in mind that
the next generations of WiFi gear probably will be in the 5.8ghz band...

For the time being though, 5.8ghz phones are probably your best bet...

Jeremy