[Nolug] linux boot error

From: j j <jdj2005_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:52:09 -0600

Hello nolug,
I am new to the user group and wanted to see if anyone has come across this
problem. I am running SUSE 9.1 and I am getting a Kernel panic when I try
to boot Linux. Linux was running normally for months. I have not installed
any kernel updates and the error started happening for no apparent
reason. I tried starting in rescue mode and running fsck on all
filesystems but to no avail. The following is the error that comes across
the screen on boot.
warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
ReiserFS: hda3: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: hda3: using ordered data mode
reiserfs: using flush barriers
ReiserFS: hda3: journal params: device hda3, size 8192 (...rest of params)
ReiserFS: hda3: checking transaction log (hda3)
reiserfs: disabling flush barriers on hda3
ReiserFS: hda3: Using r5 hash to sort names
VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
Trying to move old root to /initrd ... failed
Unmounting old root
Trying to free ramdisk memory ... okay
Freeing unused kernel memory: 216k freed
/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.4: cannot open
shared object: No such file or directory
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!