Re: [Nolug] why I hate /. (short rant)

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_mailcan.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:40:06 -0600

Agreed. This may be a bit off topic, but is in the same vein.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the national media claim that
only the poor sections of town were flooded by the levee breaks. I've
seen first hand newscaster insinuate that only the poor black areas were
flooded.

One example was from Fox News of all places. Referring to the 17th
street canal break, insinuated that the flooded side (Lakeview) was the
"black" side of town and that Bucktown was an upper middle class white
suburb. I even had to correct people I work with, albeit they are not
from here - but still, the national ignorance is overwhelming and the
rest of the US now sees it this way. They also fail to mention that
while the 9th ward is mostly black, St. Bernard generally is not, and
they got wiped out, too. This storm was about as "equal opportunity"
and non-discriminatory as you can get, but that is not what the media
heavy weights want you to know.

....anyway, back to your regularly scheduled broadcast...

Brett