RE: [Nolug] City to set up Wi-Fi network

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:03:01 -0600

Hi.

As I understand it. It is temporary - kind of.

 - State law limits the City to providing 144Kbps max.

 - The City says that they will eventually charge for the service.

 - The City says that they will probably turn the system over to a company
eventually.

 - These units require AC power, don't they? They sit on top of light polls?
Have you driven New Orleans at night? Only about half of the street lights
work (in the populated areas).

I fail to see the "emergency" justification. The business isn't going to open
unless their phone works. If their phone works generally DSL will too. Out
of all of the customers I have in the N.O. area, only two have phone service
without DSL.

And let's remember: The City of New Orleans is broke. This just puts them
more into the red. I look for them to ramp it up and then sell it at a nice
profit to some operating company.

Meanwhile, I'd just tell people to think of all of the potholes there will be
on the City's Internet highway. :-)

Yes - This is a jab at all of the potholes which N.O. is so well know for.
<g>

Of course, I may be all wet. :-)

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com