Re: [Nolug] next month's meeting ideas

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:18:17 -0500

That raises an interesting point. I know what I would like to hear
about, but what do you guys want? I am a nuts-and-bolts guy, and want
to have someone teach me something technical and way over my head,
which usually ends up inspiring me to learn more about the subject.
I'm sure if I gave too many presentations like that, most of you would
run screaming ;-)

--Joey

On 8/21/06, Trey Fox <gefox4@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just wanting to get started on a topic for next month. I am going to
> be perusing all my issues of Tux, and maybe posting some topic ideas for
> next month. Maybe an install fest! Something that we can all do at the same
> time, something that all users would find helpful. Security, or media topics
> come to my mind.
>
> As far as an install fest, I have access to really good d/l speeds for
> OpenSuse 10.1. I have 10.0 already.
> I have plenty of *ubuntu disks, as well as 64bit and x86 architecture. For
> those not afraid of doing some editing from the cli, Arch is a really good
> rpm based distro. It is made specifically for i686 architecture, so if you
> have a 686 it is fast. Pacman is the package manager, and is very
> reminiscent of Apt-get.
>
> I also have Fox Linux, which I had installed on my laptop. The desktop is
> really sharp, and easy to navigate. I had some difficulty getting wireless
> to work, and just didn't have the time to get that working so I did scrap
> it.
>
> And lastly, I have been working on modifying Slax to fit my needs. I am
> adding apps, bashscripts, and config settings. I hope to have a finished
> product by next month's meeting.
>
> I can't remember if we meet on the 2nd Thurs, or the 3rd. If possible the
> 2nd Thurs would be better for me, as on the third I will be on a bit of a
> vacation.
>
> Any other ideas from you guys?
>
> --
> Trey Fox