Re: [Nolug] Re: Forum

From: A. Murat Eren <meren_at_uludag.org.tr>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:52:12 -0500

 Hi,

On Monday 11 September 2006 16:55, Mark Gunnell wrote:
> i'd be curious to see how many LUGs participate in mailing lists as their
> primary means of distributing and sharing information.

 I'm an open source software develoeper and I'm getting maybe 2000+ e-mails
from 60+ e-mailing lists everyday. And the total number of forums that I'm
checking everyday is, 0.

 I'd agree that a Wiki or a Blog would be a good way to "share knowledge". But
IMHO e-mailing lists are still the best way for high-level "communication"
and efficent "discussion". And still I don't know what is forums for (wait! I
know that I'm a little bit thickheaded about this).

 For example in Turkey there is only one big LUG with 26 e-mailing lists.
There are at least 5.000-8.000 people are communicating via these lists
everyday. I think moving to a forum wouldn't solve our problem. I think our
LUG needs something else. But to solve it, we have to define it properly
before move.

 Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to stop anyone.This is the way of
open source anyway: If you want to do something, just do it. People would
follow your solutions when you do something noteworthy ;)

 I just wanted to share my opinions..

 Ciao,

--
 A. Murat Eren