Re: [Nolug] Re: Forum

From: rado <rado_at_rivers-bend.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:47:04 -0500

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 14:33 -0700, Mark Gunnell wrote:
> i have to jump on here about the "opportunities to be apathetic"
> statement. joey, don't take this personally, but you're the president
> of this organization. calling the activities of its denizens
> apathetic doesn't seem very positive nor is it very 'leader-like'.
>
> i'm with trey. what we're doing right now isn't working. we have
> half a dozen participants and no one is really learning anything. if
> trey wants to make a forum, i'm all for it. in fact, i'd rather use
> that than this mailing list. mailing lists are very old technology.
> why not move into some other venues. rss maybe sometime? forum and
> new websites are better than what we have now.
>
> we need some injection of life into this organization... or disolve it
> - one way or another. it's dead already... someone just needs to kick
> some dirt on it.
>
> that's just my opinion, i could be wrong.
>
> trey, i'm logging onto your forum right now.
>
> Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 10 September 2006 08:54, Trey Fox wrote:
> > Well if we make our own forum, it will be open more open to
> the public. I
> > know that there are a lot of people who don't really like
> mailing lists.
> > Some people are more comfortable with forums. It also
> becomes a way to
> > better watch the content, and remove unwanted content.
>
> Back when Scott ran the website, he set up PHPBB or whatever,
> which lasted
> about a year or so. Few people posted to it.
>
> Anyhow, we have a mailing list, a wiki, an irc channel, and
> now a weblog, and
> there isn't a lot of activity on any of these forums. IMHO,
> adding more
> opportunities for people to be apathetic is a lose-lose
> proposition.
>

> --
> Joey Kelly
> < Minister of the Gospel | Linux Consultant >
> http://joeykelly.net

whoa...c'mon let's just settle some...I am new to nolug but not that new
to linux or the net but I feel input might help either way. As far as
Joey's concerned. I think I know where he's coming from... you mess
w/the net you messing w/the world! for instance, just last week a friend
and I were talking some things out. It's one thing when you have a local
owned "storefront" business but than another when you wanna take your
storefront business national on the web! It's an entirely new ball game.
I mentioned that just to realate what the reality is here. Nolug is a
very general, unix style user's group. I say general because in a sense,
Linux is really a huge subject today...wow...all the diff distros etc.
My own way of doing it is that I get my main info thru my disto and of
course, google. Granted hey we have one major thing in common
linux...and yes, a certain amount of applications etc that we all use is
good beneficial material to discuss...local work in our
interest....stuff like that but to be a really full blown yahoo kinda
deal (way overboard) or to really expect to be a whole lot more active
seems kinda tuff IMHO just because of the nature of the club and the
reality of what the web really does for us all. Hey, I'm w/you guys;
whatever y'all decide is cool by me. I run 5 linux and 1 windows box so
I always got a ton on my table to do. whether it be writin code...admin
or whatever. All my comm I like it just the way I do thru msg list and
irc for efficiency. This is just me and no matter how you guys wanna go
w/this is fine by me but I can sure see where Joey's coming from. lol,
country as I am...don't use those .50 words...geez what's apathetic
anyway? lol.

thx' y'all

John Rose

--
Ever notice the look on your neighbor's face when you start talking
about linux? ...has no clue!