Re: [Nolug] Re: Forum

From: Jeremy <listbox_at_unix-boy.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:46:53 -0500

Mark Gunnell wrote:
> i'd be curious to see how many LUGs participate in mailing lists as
> their primary means of distributing and sharing information.

Perhaps you should check out how us guys in BSD-land do our discussions.
   Most of it is entirely through email lists like this.

Forums tend to be more of a pain in the ass... I know, I used to
moderate on one of the largest on the net (and have since quit). You
have to worry about defacements, spammers, retards and of course, my
favorite, security holes coming out of the wazoo (sp?).

Actually, I know I'm recalling correctly, the Linux kernel developers do
their entire discussion on a list just like this, if you want a real
world application.

Mailing lists work. It let's me check all of my correspondence in one
application. I can keep Thunderbird open while I have tons of
terminal windows open and I can know when a message arrives without
having to login and refresh.