Re: [Nolug] nolug.org down?

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 21:17:21 -0500

On Monday 09 October 2006 20:41, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Site seems to be up but I just got this 3 day old email?

Ooh, an opportunity to teach you guys a little about SMTP :-)

Everyone's seen transient email errors, such as "it's been 4 hours, your mail
hasn't been sent yet, I'll keep trying for another 5 days". More or less by
default, SMTP keeps trying to deliver email for 5 days before completely
giving up. Of course, there are random errors that make it impossible to
route mail to its destination, in which case you'll get a terminal error
almost immediately.

My server went down Friday around noon. Mail would not have started bouncing
until Wednesday. My stuff was down for 6 days during Katrina, so I lost at
least 1 day's worth of mail.

If an email is temporarily rejected or otherwise fails to be delivered on the
first try, the originating server waits a few minutes (10, for example) and
tries again. If the next try doesn't work, it waits even longer before
retrying. The reason why this message from Saturday is just now showing up is
because by this time your server has been waiting hours, not minutes, between
delivery attempts.

--Joey

> Jonathan
>
> On 10/7/06, Trey Fox <gefox4@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Chris and I are getting that the site is down, anyone else noticed this.
> > I guess Joey may be doing something I guess.
> >
> > --
> > Trey Fox
> > http://OpenSuse.us <http://opensuse.us/> - Administrator
> > http://USALUG.org <http://usalug.org/>
> > http://Ulteo.com <http://ulteo.com/> - Administrator

How many spyware pop-ups did you get on your Windows computer today?