Re: [Nolug] server distro considerations

From: Lawrence Toal <let02do_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 02:53:03 -0600

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 09:14, Joey Kelly wrote:

> Also, I will be installing these servers for my clients in and around
> New Orleans, so this entire migration project must be done in a
> professional manner.
>
> I really like BSD, but those are impossible to update remotely.
> Slackware has a BSD "feel", and can be administered remotely, but a
> version upgrade requires single-user mode.

Sorry for my ignorance, but my Slack version upgrades usually include
kernel, toolchain,sometimes shell version upgrades etc....How can this be
done in multi-user mode in other distros?

Also, although I understand how Slack got its rep---there is a nice feel to
tools that are *not* automatic. For a taste of this philosophy take a look
at this page devoted to packages and installing with pkgtool.

http://www.slackbuilds.org/

I bet there are loads of good reasons for not choosing slack....but building
a _simple_ server is more a matter of what *not* to install than grabbing
packages. For Basic LAMP, Apache MySQL and PHP are part of the distro.
(you configure as you like) additions aren't hard. But Slack has indeed
been an acquired taste for me. I don't suggest it for anyone not already
interested for some reason The reasons are usually similar to the list you
gave though :-).

--Lawrence.