Re: [Nolug] server distro considerations

From: Shannon Roddy <sroddy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 03:35:15 -0600

On 1/13/07, Lawrence Toal <let02do@cox.net> wrote:

> But Slack has indeed
> been an acquired taste for me. I don't suggest it for anyone not already
> interested for some reason The reasons are usually similar to the list you
> gave though :-).

I've always liked Slack.

Once upon a time, around '95 or so when I started with Linux, Slack
was about the only serious linux distribution. For those that don't
remember those days with Linux, I had to go buy a 50 pack of floppies
and spend about 4 days downloading on a 9600 baud modem to install it
on a 486 25 mhz system only to find that the 10th or so floppy was
bad. I had already wiped the system, so no useable OS. Install
another OS, re-download floppy number 10, restart installation.
Floppy #13 bad, repeat. After a couple of weeks, it was pure heaven.
:-) Then I had to learn this fandangled fancy *nix stuff. Those were
the days, but I wouldn't wanna go back.

A coworker of mine talks about his days on a PDP-11 at MIT. I
*really* wouldn't want to go back to those days.

-Shannon