Re: [Nolug] Email passwords are.. special?

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:28:38 -0600

> It wasn't identified before? :)

Yes... Overall roundabout manner since the beginning of the thread....
I just had to start some othe way except with he word "umppalumppa" :-)
> "Yet, there is the risk that a compromised email password will then
> compromise the network."
>
> As far as a "switch" in Linux to separate them, you would have to do
> this at the application level. So, for Linux and the VPN, you may
> point them at one type of entry or even a container in LDAP, but for
> email you would use another set of accounts. Or, perhaps your email
> system would use an internal database of user accounts.

Perhaps someday I have time to learn these alternatives as well.... or
perferably have enough money to hire someone else to reorganize all the
stuff :-) So far we do not have that many accounts really.... And all
people who only utilize e-mail, their linux shell is set to "false". So
in theory, they can only retrieve e-mails and not log on to the
server..... Unless there is a problem with the idea of having shell set
to false, I'm not aware of....

Petri
WOLU