Re: [Nolug] Email passwords are.. special?

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:34:20 -0500

Petri Laihonen <pietu@weblizards.net> writes:

> Now that the potential problem has been identified...

I think you're dealing with a non-issue, but you have a couple of
options.

Postfix+courier-imap can be configured to get their user information
from a separate source like mysql.

There are a few HOWTOs out there:
  http://postfix.wiki.xs4all.nl/index.php?title=Virtual_Users_and_Domains_with_Courier-IMAP_and_MySQL
  http://www.phparchitecture.com/howto_show.php?id=2

You can find the others by googling for "postfix courier imap mysql"
like I just did.

I've used the above config for a couple of clients.

You could use LDAP to set up multiple users and have them authenticate
off of that. Properly configured (probably not what you want, since
it takes a bit of customization) you can have your shell users and
your mail-only users authenticating off of the same LDAP database
across multiple services on multiple machines across an entire
network. And you can force them to maintain separate email/login
passwords.

I've done something similar to that, but it takes a lot more work than
the postfix/courier/mysql setup above.

There are other options (like the cyrus mail server), but this should
get you started.

--
http://hexmode.com/
GPG Fingerprint: 7E15 362D A32C DFAB E4D2  B37A 735E F10A 2DFC BFF5