[Nolug] Fwd: Linux newsletter

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:59:29 -0500

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Linux newsletter
Date: Tuesday 28 August 2007 14:59
From: Linux News <elists-admin@oreillynet.com>
To: joey@joeykelly.net

LINUX NEWS FROM O'REILLY NETWORK
The Latest from http://www.linuxdevcenter.com and http://ONLamp.com

Hello Readers,

The epic voyage of the OFOW* Crew across the vast Virginia frontier
continues. As you can see from this picture, conditions on the journey are
primitive and it is difficult to keep the spirits of the crew up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackbearnh/1236857450/

We hope to make our way home soon. Hunting has been good and we are well
provisioned.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackbearnh/1248191825

We have had good encounters with the natives. Their experience with Linux
seems limited, but we have found some embedded applications that we think
may be appropriate for Linux integration.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackbearnh/1230331599/

Meanwhile, I have several reports of interest to you, dear reader, that
follow henceforth. Howard Feldman continued his look at tricks you can do
with JavaScript. This time around, he showed how to toggle images, do
tabbed windows and expand tree views.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/08/23/advanced-javascript-ii.html

Edd Dumbill gave us a look at Moonlight, the Mono version of the
Silverlight rich browser environment. Starting with an intro to
Silverlight itself, he goes on to show some examples of rich clients now
running under Moonlight.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/08/23/moonlight-silverlight-goes-mono
.html

What really happens at the O'Reilly FOO Camp? "The Watering Hole" has an
inside look.

http://www.oreillynet.com/wateringhole/blog/2007/08/i_for_one_welcome_our_new
_geek.html

There were a bumper crop of blogs this week, starting with chromatic's
good words on behalf of Abiword.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/thank_you_abiword.html

Spencer Critchley suggests that a Wikipedia-like reputation system might
be useful with politicians.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/proposal_a_politicians_reputat_
1.html

Doug Hellmann reports on the effort to set up a Python social network.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/python_developer_networking.htm

Then he continued with the Python module of the week, one which handles
CSV files.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/pymotw_csv.html

A return engagement by chromatic, shows off a regex matcher written in
Haskell.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/a_beautiful_regex_matcher_in_h.
html

What does Matthew McCool have to say about the current state of open
source culture? Read and see.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/the_culture_of_open_source.html

Noah Gift announced a new Open Source Video podcast series.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/announcing_open_source_video_p.
html

Jeremy Jones describes his experiences monkey-patching his code to do
testing in Ruby.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/testing_logging_and_the_art_of.
html

Oops. According to Nitesh Dhanjani, the O'Reilly blogging software is
vulnerable to XSS attacks.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/this_blog_is_susceptible_to_pe.
html

How do you keep yourself interested in life without dying in the process?
Here's what Noah Gift suggests.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/searching_for_nontoxic_stimula.
html

chromatic really doesn't care if Google's code is open source.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/i_dont_care_about_googles_sour_
1.html

But he does care that Parrot has a new release out.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/parrot_0415_released.html

Uche Ogbuji reports on his experiences using Hg to talk to SVN on a Mac.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/dipping_my_toes_into_mercurial.
html

And Noah Gift says to forget there's a Unix hiding under your OS X, and
just accept the zen of Mac.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/zen_of_mac.html

Caitlyn Martin talks about Wolvix 1.1.0, which she says is a real speed
demon of a distro.

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/08/wolvix_110_a_very_flexible_ani.h
tml

Debian's /etc/rc.local is a real treat, according to Juliet Kemp.

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/08/etcrclocal.html

Here's the top five things to consider when setting up a MySQL backup,
according to Paddy Sreenivasan.

http://www.oreillynet.com/databases/blog/2007/08/top_5_considerations_while_s
et.html

Justin Clarke is worried about how a new anti-hacker law in Germany will
affect the SysAdmin community.

http://www.oreillynet.com/sysadmin/blog/2007/08/german_antihacker_law_starts_
t.html

Last but hardly least, Chris Josephes suggests that folks calm down about
why Skype reads /etc/passwd

http://www.oreillynet.com/sysadmin/blog/2007/08/a_close_look_at_questionable_
a.html

Check out the second Ignite Boston, a free tech-focused meetup sponsored by
 O'Reilly. It will take place on Thursday, September 6, from 6 to 10 p.m. at
 Hurricane O'Reilly’s in Boston, with a few launches and plenty of discussion
 of new technologies and ideas. If you plan to attend, email IgniteBoston at
 oreilly dot com for the chance to win $300 worth of O'Reilly books of your
 choosing. You must be present to win.

http://www.oreillynet.com/ignite/blog/

This week, you'll get a look at Trimpath Junction from Jack Herrington and
Steve Yen. Gregory Brown continues his series on behavior driven
development in Ruby. Gwen has a bit of a luggage malfunction at the
Watering Hole. More blogs and a post vacation report from me next
newsletter (where you'll learn why the two most terrifying words in
existence are "loop trail.")

* The ONLamp Family of Web Sites, as shown circa 1626

James Turner
Site Editor, ONLamp.com
turner@oreilly.com

Visit our Sponsored Developer Resource Pages and learn about cool
stuff from our sponsors!
Downloads - Free Training - Webinars - Updates

Inside Lightroom: http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/lightroom

For assistance, email help@oreillynet.com

O'Reilly Media, Inc.
1005 Gravenstein Highway North
Sebastopol, CA 95472
(707) 827-7000

How many spyware pop-ups did you get on your Windows computer today?