[Nolug] Streaming music server

From: Mischa D. Krilov <rossum_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:09:19 -0500

This week, I brought up an old Dell P3 to run Ubuntu 7.10 server and
Slimserver. It's working all right, but I've got some real growing
pains to sort through with Slimserver, some of which come from the
(relatively messy) dataset of my music library.

In the best of all possible worlds, I'd find some specialty distro
aimed at turning an older PC into a dedicated music jukebox. I've
found a few Media-Center-a-like options, notably Geexbox (which has a
focus on being a set-top play-it-all video device), and a few other
"boot me and I'll party shuffle a directory of music at you" options.
I don't mind wiping my box (not the library!) and putting something
else on it if it works.

I really want a jukebox that has batter library and management
options, since I've got a lot of that sort of cleanup work to do- I
don't really care what database it uses, either. I need something that
has good playlist options and will stream over the network (LAN first,
WAN later) and ideally something that would play in flash in a
browser, for maximum lean-back options... but that's a real
pie-in-the-sky hope. I assume that any decent jukebox would
auto-rip,sort and CD fed into it.

Yes, I've considered just a Mac Mini sitting on the shelf, but it
kills me that Linux should be able to do this without breaking a
sweat. So far, I haven't found a good match. What is everyone else
using for remote music?

MDK

--
Read my blog: http://rossum.blogspot.com